Willows Nest Self-directed Residency Program 2019-2020
We are now accepting applications for residencies through December 31, 2020. There is no deadline for the application, but dates will be scheduled on a first-come, first-scheduled basis. Please apply well in advance, and allow extra time if you are applying for funds through an outside organization or institution.
The Willows Nest is a unique
artistic production and performance space in the heart of Berlin. Non-commercial, with a public heart and
a non-profit vibe, we offer a new collaborative platform for intimate and
ongoing artistic interaction. With complete audio and video production and
playback facilities, as well as our central location in the heart of one of
Berlin’s most famous artist districts, our residency program seeks to
cultivate, nurture and present new works by emerging or independent artists
from all over the world.
Our program at The Willows Nest is
designed for around independent artists, and distinguishes itself in several
- We accept only one resident (or small team) at
once – meaning you will have complete and sole access to our facilities during
the residency ensuring uninterrupted progress on the work.
- We offer technical support and consultation for
every artistic project throughout the residency to ensure its success.
- We offer residencies as short as one week,
allowing artists a more flexible opportunity to organize their residency during
other professional or academic activities.
- Residency fees are scalable to help independent
or emerging artists access even where funds are limited. Opportunities exist to supplement
income during the residency by presenting workshops and additional
- All artists in residence are automatically
welcomed into our regular Willows Nest programs, including guided meditation
sessions, Deep Listening™ and other arts-oriented events, to expand and
cultivate their practice while in-house.
- All residencies will culminate in public
presentation. The performance,
installation, or presentation will also be documented thoroughly. Documentation provided to the artist
within 14 days of the end of the residency period. In-house publication or broadcast opportunities also exist.
Artists will occupy the studio itself during residency – which is a private room with floor-to-ceiling windows and incredible light. The acoustics of the studio are extraordinary. Practicing musicians may find this particularly helpful. Much like an art concept bed and breakfast bit in a private home, The Nest is extremely comfortable. The flat is 106sqms, light-filled and well appointed. Artists invited to the residence have access to the large kitchen, laundry facilities, and indeed need bring nothing but their ideas – we provide the rest. We are on the doorstep of the vibrant and artistic Boxhagener Kiez, in Friedrichshain, Berlin – venues, clubs, galleries in easy walking distance, as is the Ostkreuz station for ease of travel.
Artist Residency Fees include:
- Private room and daily breakfast
- At least one open studio/networking event with local artists during residency.
- Performance or presentation of original work with publicity and program publication.
- Full documentation at completion of residency.
- 10 hours of Production Assistant technical support OR 5 hours of Professional support during each week of residency in addition to presentation technical assistance.
Each application should include:
- A 500 word (maximum) description of the project to be completed during the residency
- Desired length of residency, and 3 date range preferences
- A short (200 word) biography of the artist(s) and links to their website/online portfolio.
- 2 work samples per artist. Samples may be in audio, video or still image format and must be submitted via hosted online link. Include passwords in case of private hosting.
Interested applicants should contact us via the website for details on electronic submission of their application.