Willows Nest Self-directed Residency Program 2019-2020
We are now accepting applications for residencies through June 1, 2020. There is no deadline for the application, but dates will be scheduled on a first-come, first-scheduled basis. Please apply well in advance, and allow extra time if you are applying for funds through an outside organization or institution.
The Willows Nest is a unique artistic production and performance space in the heart of Berlin. Non-commercial, with a public heart and a non-profit vibe, we offer a new collaborative platform for intimate and ongoing artistic interaction. With complete audio and video production and playback facilities, as well as our central location in the heart of one of Berlin’s most famous artist districts, our residency program seeks to cultivate, nurture and present new works by emerging or independent artists from all over the world.
Our program at The Willows Nest is designed for around independent artists, and distinguishes itself in several important respects:
- We accept only one resident (or small team) at once – meaning you will have complete and sole access to our facilities during the residency ensuring uninterrupted progress on the work.
- We offer technical support and consultation for every artistic project throughout the residency to ensure its success.
- We offer residencies as short as one week, allowing artists a more flexible opportunity to organize their residency during other professional or academic activities.
- Residency fees are scalable to help independent or emerging artists access even where funds are limited. Opportunities exist to supplement income during the residency by presenting workshops and additional performances.
- All artists in residence are automatically welcomed into our regular Willows Nest programs, including guided meditation sessions, Deep Listening™ and other arts-oriented events, to expand and cultivate their practice while in-house.
- All residencies will culminate in public presentation. The performance, installation, or presentation will also be documented thoroughly. Documentation provided to the artist within 14 days of the end of the residency period. In-house publication or broadcast opportunities also exist.
Artists will occupy the studio itself during residency – which is a private room with floor-to-ceiling windows and incredible light. The acoustics of the studio are extraordinary – and well insulated for sound. Meaning artists can work at their schedule and pace without worry of disturbing the neighbors. Practicing musicians may find this particularly helpful. Much like an art concept bed and breakfast, The Nest is extremely comfortable. The flat is 106sqms, light-filled and well appointed. Resident artists have access to the large kitchen, laundry facilities, and indeed need bring nothing but their ideas – we provide the rest. We are on the doorstep of the vibrant and artistic Boxhagener Kiez, in Friedrichshain, Berlin – venues, clubs, galleries in easy walking distance, as is the Ostkreuz station for ease of travel.
Artist Residency Fees include:
- Private room and daily breakfast
- At least one open studio/networking event with local artists during residency.
- Performance or presentation of original work with publicity and program publication.
- Full documentation at completion of residency.
- 10 hours of Production Assistant technical support OR 5 hours of Professional support during each week of residency in addition to presentation technical assistance.
Each application should include:
- A 500 word (maximum) description of the project to be completed during the residency
- Desired length of residency, and 3 date range preferences
- A short (200 word) biography of the artist(s) and links to their website/online portfolio.
- 2 work samples per artist. Samples may be in audio, video or still image format and must be submitted via hosted online link. Include passwords in case of private hosting.
Interested applicants should contact us via the website for details on electronic submission of their application.